Monday, September 4, 2017

The Rule of Peace: Day 5

"See that no one repays evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people." 1Thessalonians 5:15

I was 10 years old in 1978. I recall it like it was yesterday. It was just a few weeks before Thanksgiving; just before the Guyana tragedy took place, when my otherwise happy, sheltered childhood took a violent turn.

My 33 year old cousin, whom I adored, was murdered by a self-described White Supremacist. He lured my cousin to his home under the guise of friendship, then as they sat across the table from one another, he proceeded to shoot my cousin once between the eyes and twice in the chest. He stripped him of all of his clothing, and dumped his body on the side of a highway over some 50 miles away from our home.

Now, you may be wondering what in the world does that horrific memory have to do with today's scripture reference?

To be sure, there are many more layers to that memory for me, but what stands out most  in my mind from that time of deep trauma for my family, is my father's firm governance & leadership of us through that dark season.

Although my father was his uncle, my grandfather had passed away several years before this took place, so my Dad offered our family a "voice" in that season. 

I can still clearly remember hearing him speak the words...."This is a tragedy for both families; ours and his (the young man who killed my cousin). We will put our trust in God and the justice system to take care of this, but ultimately, nobody wins here...."

And that was it....the tone had been set. We had our marching orders and they had EVERYTHING to do with today's scripture reference....

My family are God-fearing followers of Jesus, and the mandate was clear. It still is today. We do not repay evil for evil. In fact, we are to repay evil with good, and are to bless and pray for those who would do evil to or against us.

I believe my father knew then what it has taken me time to understand in light of this matter. Sin is a universal ill that denotes great tragedy for all of us....

He was correct. In sin, nobody wins. Jesus is our only means of victory over the futility of sin; and because He paid the price to deliver us from the depravity that grips us all, we can stand firm against the urge and temptation to repay evil when it is committed against us. "The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the works of the devil." 1 John 3:8

                          ~Prayer~

Father, when I am confronted with evil, help me to remember never to repay that evil with more evil. Strengthen me to walk out the calling for which my Jesus died to win me. Help me to always confront, repent of, and overcome my own tendencies towards sin so that I may not cause pain to those around me. Give me eyes and a heart of compassion towards those who have been wounded by the sins of others. In Jesus' Name! Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment