Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Rule of Peace: Day 10

The Lord gives his people strength. The Lord blesses them with peace.”

My family and I have ridden out several hurricanes as we’ve lived now in several different states.The most recent one we’ve added to our list was Irma. 

Just like everyone else in FL, we watched and listened to all of the forecasts with baited breath while we grappled with the decision to stay put or evacuate.

It ended up, that we stayed put out of necessity because my daughter, who works at a local animal hospital, had to work through the weekend (as much as was reasonably and safely possible).

I am not too ashamed to tell you all that it was with great trepidation and anxiety for me that we stayed put....I’m not certain why, but there’s something about going to bed with a hurricane raging around me that simply strikes fear and unrest in my heart. Call me crazy, but I can ride out a hurricane like a champ all day long, but once night falls, the champ in me quickly exits stage left!

Maybe it’s the feeling of lying in bed helpless and unaware of what’s transpiring in my surroundings that terrifies me the most, and causes hurricanes to seem much more ominous to me at night, but whatever the case, it’s true....I simply lose it.

Prior to Irma’s arrival, I had opportunity to study today’s Scripture reference. I was reminded that peace, true peace, God’s peace is a blessing imparted to us by Him alone.

So, as I was lying there in my bed, staring out into the darkness and listening to the winds rage....I caught my mind drifting to this verse and as I did so, a prayer began to form...

“Bless me with Your peace in the midst of this storm, Lord. I choose to remember that You are God over all of the elements. You speak and they have to listen. I thank You for the gift of Your peace each day and every day. I especially thank You for that gift tonight. I know that Your eyes are upon us; watching over us, and Your mighty angels are standing guard over us even now as You have commanded them to do. Thank You, Lord for Your many blessings....In Jesus’ Name I pray....

And as my prayer trailed off, I must’ve drifted off to sleep because before I knew it, I was opening my eyes to the light of another day....with very little to no hurricane left in sight....

Oh sure, there were remnants left from the night before...but ultimately, the storm had passed....as they always do.

I don’t know what you might be facing today, Sweet Sister....the storm you may be traveling through...but remember your God, The Giver of peace and strength.....Trust that He will eventually speak to the elements behind your storm...and know that when He does; they too will have to listen....and cease.

No comments:

Post a Comment