Friday, May 27, 2011

Thank You

"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." John 15:13 (NIV)











As we are on the threshold of another Memorial Day weekend, I find myself pondering and mulling all that this most solemn holiday really means to me...I hope to do those thoughts justice as I attempt to share them in today's blog....
Since my hubby's return to active duty military service a few years back, I have to admit my perspective has radically changed concerning his choice of occupation, It has gone from being casual and nonchalant to serious, reverent and respectful, but I believe that most everyone can relate to that statement because on 9/11/01, I also believe that to some degree, everyone's perspective changed......
Since we reside in a military town, the reminders of duty and sacrifice are forever with us....Since staying fit is part of his job, I watch my precious hubby roll out of bed every morning at "zero-dark-thirty" as I call it, just so he can hit the gym before work so as not to take away from our family-time in the evening.....I have lost track of the number of countless friends and acquaintances who have spouses deployed right now, not to mention the one's who have already, or are once again, packing up all of their earthly belongings to move to a new home because they have new military orders, and a new life to begin someplace else.....worse yet though, are those whom we have witnessed pay the ultimate price via loss of limb and life...just last week, I called my hubby, as I often do for a quick chat during the day, and when he answered the phone, I immediately knew in hearing his voice that something was terribly wrong...he had lost a friend, a Brother-in-arms, who was slated to retire, but at the last minute decided he would do one more tour in Afghanistan...now, my hubby explained to me, that his friend would never come home......
In hearing all of this, you might wonder what it is that keeps folks committed to willingly making such sacrifices....I've wondered that myself from time to time, but every time I step foot on the military base that adjoins our town, I no longer have to wonder....the sense of purpose and honor that flows from all of the young men and women in uniform, also makes their sense of commitment abundantly clear. Even more than that, it rubs off....it makes me proud to be the wife of a United States Marine.... It makes me proud to do my small part to aid in the protection and continuation of this great nation in which we live... I grant that America is not perfect and may have her fair share of troubles, but there is truly no other place in the entire world that I would rather live....God bless the USA and all who serve to keep her safe!!!!  Thank You!!!!