Monday, May 9, 2011

Legacy

Proverbs 31:28 "Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also and he praises her."





As another Mother's Day  is about to draw to a close (written 5/8/11), I find myself pondering the word...."legacy"...
Not only is that word the title of a beloved Women's Ministry which God has graciously allowed me to be a part of.....over the past few days, I've had many friends remind me of the extreme significance of that word through their own kind words of loving encouragement concerning the life and legacy of my own precious mother, but it's what my children have said and even have not said, over the course of this day and weekend, that has caused me to stop and ponder the word the most....
While spending time looking at old  family pictures with my kiddos, my oldest son began chiding me about how he happened to be the only kiddo in one of his youth team sports pictures who wasn't wearing a uniform....as we chuckled together about how my notorious "scatterbrainedness" was at the root of the resulting picture, I began to wonder how my oversight may have in fact bothered him more than he had ever let on at the time...and up sprung that word in my thoughts once again...."legacy"....
As we prepared this morning to leave for a breakfast buffet, another of my kiddos walked into my room to "remind me" that "The slowcooker would work better at cooking the pot roast I had hoped to prepare for our dinner if I first turned it on!!!" After another good chuckle about how forgetful and scatterbrained I am, he then proceeded to tell me how he had just seen an article on MSN that explained "why imperfect moms were the best kind to have" after which he again chided..."Well mom, we all know you're not perfect." And immediately, there it was again that word...."legacy"...
Don't get me wrong, amidst the poking fun at my faux pas and shortcomings were also expressions of love and gratefulness, but every word I'd heard or read to that point came back in a flood and started me pondering the question once again "Am I building, with my husband and children, the type of legacy I'm hoping for?" the words of Proverbs 31:28 rushed into my mind and then right behind them so did a prayer..."Lord, continue to take my efforts and cover them with Your grace and bless the lives of my husband and children through me."
As I mentioned before, many have spoken these past few days about the wonderful legacy that my own mom built and has left for me and although it pains me greatly that she is gone; I am still and always will be eternally grateful for the way her life poured out blessing after blessing into my own....was she perfect?....absolutely not....was she as forgetful as her daughter?....well, again, absolutely not....but standing here alone; on the backside of her life and her involvement in mine, I am left with a very deep sense of being more grateful to have had her as my mom in the first place; than I am sad to have lost her....and that, my friends, is the legacy I pray I am building in the lives of my husband and children as well....
One of my most cherished gifts I received this Mother's Day (and there were many) were these beautiful words penned by my daughter....I share them with her permission..." I woke up this morning, and saw the sun, I was immediately reminded of you....Radiant, beautiful and bright. Thankful that I could see another day, but mostly, thankful for the fact that I have another chance to see your face. Your presence means more to me than you will ever know. I'm glad you're in my life, I will forever love you, through the good, the bad and the strife. I'm honored to call you my mother, you're one of the best around, I know that everyone can see that you're the reason that I smile. Thank you for always being there for me, you're the best and I hope that you can see. I will love you always and forever. Thank you for all that you do. The definition of  a "good" mother, will always be you."
Friends, for as much as those tender words move and speak volumes to my heart, I realize nevertheless that my journey as well as yours, is not yet complete...each new day is a brand new gift and opportunity from God to continue to seed and build the legacy that we each hope to leave behind for our biological, as well as, spiritual families....so as I tuck those precious words away for safe keeping; so that I may use them to remind and encourage my heart throughout the remainder of my time here on earth as wife and mom to the wonderful husband and children God has entrusted to me, I also have one thought which I will keep in the forefront of my mind...it is my goal, prayer and desire to see to it that those words still ring true for my daughter (and the rest of my children) when they stand on the backside of my life, but most importantly, I pray and desire that when my life is over, their love and devotion for God will exceed their love and devotion for me.....so then, and only then, my legacy...my journey....will truly be complete...I hope some of you can relate and also agree.....

No comments: