Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Favor of God

Favor- Noun: A kind act or office; kindness done or granted; benevolence shown by word or deed; an act of grace or goodwill, as distinct from justice or remuneration



Over the past few weeks to months there has been one resounding theme that God seems to constantly keep playing in my mind and heart....His Favor....
Whether it has been through stories my children have shared with me concerning the kindness others have shown them or through the outright acts of love and kindness others have shown me or if it has shown up in the honor and esteem that many have bestowed on our family...this theme keeps resurfacing in my day to day life...
I often find myself meditating on the blessing and encouragement that is found in the midst of God's unmerited favor with a grateful and awestruck heart.
If you have entrusted your life to Christ, you well know, encompassed in this life, are some difficulties that God in His infinite wisdom, chooses to deliver us from while there are still others that He chooses to deliver us through. Although we receive the Favor of God everyday in having the gift of life, in my own experience, it has been in the midst of difficulty that He has chosen to deliver me through (rather than from) that I have known His favor to utterly and completely show up and shine the brightest....
Again, the examples are many....a friend who called to invite me to dinner simply because she said she wanted to "love on me", a young lady in church who removed a beloved set of jewelry and gave it to me simply because she said she "wanted me to have it.", the numerous teachers and coaches who have cheered and helped my son's through their transition from home schooling back to public school, the complete strangers, who totally unaware, spoke words of encouragement that deeply ministered to my point of greatest need at that very moment and the list could go on and on...
Yes, these are very tangible shows of God's favor and blessing that I have highlighted here and I in no way mean to imply that this is the only way in which God goes about showing and bestowing His love and favor upon us because that is simply not true....No, I only recount these particular examples in hopes that each of you who has the opportunity to read this will take some time this week to scour your own lives for evidence of the very same showing of God's precious love and favor toward you...the smile from a stranger you pass by on the street, the card or call from a friend or loved one that shows up at exactly the right moment….I know you get the idea. When the pathway grows dark and life gets tough, we may not be thankful "for" all things, but we can be thankful "in" all things. I firmly believe it's at those times in our lives (when His favor lights the way) that our loving Heavenly Father says to us...."My child, although I have chosen and prefer not to deliver you from the storm you are in; I most assuredly am right here with you as you pass through it."
Dear Friends, My prayer for you this week, as you practice God’s favor in your life, is that your heart will be filled with gratitude, even and especially in the midst of difficulty.
"And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." Luke 2:52"

No comments: